Built in 1879-1881, the small single storey brick gaol with bluestone trim was designed by colonial architect James Barnett. It was the first of the Australian designed gaols (Hay & Dubbo gaols followed this one). The bricks were made from the local clay (on-site), by Joseph Firth, and the bluestone was transported from Malmsbury, Victoria.
The gaol replaced over-crowded lock-ups and was utilised until its closure in 1927. After its closure as a gaol, the building was utilised as extra classrooms for the Wentworth Central School until 1963 and today, because of its remarkable condition, is a major tourist attraction.