The Anglican clergy were the first to visit the Wentworth district. At that time Anglicans attended regular services in the Wentworth Hotel (now the site of the Wentworth Services & Sporting Club).
The Parish of Wentworth was formed in 1871 and Reverend William Cocks organised the building of the Church (believed to be based on an English structure). The materials were brought to the site by barge, although locally made bricks were also used in the construction.
Saint Johns is the first church erected on the banks of the Darling River and is one of the most notable features in Wentworth. Heritage listed by the National Trust.
Wentworth Visitor Information Centre
Address: Darling Street, Wentworth
Telephone: (03) 5027 5080