Catholic schooling began at Wentworth on February 8, 1892, when Sisters of Mercy answered the Bishop’s call to come to the town at the junction of the Murray and Darling rivers.
Saint Ignatius was built in 1911, a wooden structure located in the convent grounds and the first Catholic High School in the area. The building was used in the 1940’s as the infant section of St Francis Xavier School (opened in 1925), and was eventually closed to the public at the end of 1950.
Some years back, our little school-house was restored by the National Trust and in February 2002 the school building was listed as a local historic building on the State Heritage Register.
Wentworth Visitor Information Centre
Address: Cadell Street, Wentworth
Telephone: (03) 5027 5080